1 June (for a period of funding from 1 July–31 December)
1 December (for a period of funding from 1 January–30 June)
Universität Hamburg supports its international students on their way to the successful completion of their degrees with degree completion grants.
Persons entitled to funding are students who:
- are enrolled at Universität Hamburg
- are not German citizens;
- are not eligible for BAföG (federal student loan scheme);
- are preparing for or are in the final examination phase of their studies;
- have no financial support during this phase (proof required).
International students studying fee-based degree programs are eligible for this grant in exceptional cases, but they will not have priority in the selection procedure.
Amount of funding/funding period
Degree completion grants are usually awarded for 6 months. The monthly amount of funding ranges between €200 and a maximum of €720. The individual funding amount is calculated according to the respective income.
If the final examination is not completed within the 6-month period, an extension may be requested. The maximum funding period is 12 months.
Students pursuing Diplom, Magister, or Staatsexamen degrees may apply for a 12-month grant with their first application.
The following groups are excluded from funding:
- international students who fulfill the requirements of Section 8 of the German federal training assistance act (Bundesgesetz über individuelle Förderung der Ausbildung, BAföG))
- doctoral researchers