DEADLINE: July 18, 2019
Taipei City Government organizes the Taipei International Design Award in the ethos of “Design for Adaptive City”, as an on-going gesture to the world, particularly to those with a passion for creativeness and design, a gesture in projecting the urban branding imagery of “Design Taipei; Dream Taipei”. Here is an open call for outstanding international designs and an effort to shape Taipei into a convergence platform for creative designs, thereby to discover creative designs with business potential, and further still, to encourage practices of social design in an advocacy that design as a medium can bring humans a better, more pleasant and convenient life.
Taipei City Government has been devoted to shaping Taipei into a city with design visions and has been encouraging designers to contemplate on the meaning of design, to see design as a problem-solving tool, that is, to solve problems inevitably faced by the general public, the society or the city, and to further present Taipei International Design Award in the ethos of “Design for Adaptive City”.
Entries are grouped into three main categories;
- Industrial Design – Industrial design refers to design works that can be mass-produced, including general and digital application, transportation tools, equipment and instruments, daily utilities and household goods, IT and home appliances, etc.
- Visual Communication Design – Visual communication includes designs of digital graphics creations, identity, posters, packaging and printing (including digital printing), etc.
- Public Space Design – Open space provided for public use, government buildings and certain private establishments.
Method of Selection:
- Inspection of Qualifications: Inspection on submitted works, including qualifications, documents, the format of entries and etc.
- Preliminary Selection: In order to reduce waste caused by printing or mailing of entries, the preliminary selection will be conducted via an electronic platform.
- Final Selection: For the Industrial Design category, an evaluation will be based on the actual physical works, mockups or 3D animations.
- People’s Choice Award Voting: For works of the finalists, each person gets one vote for each category. The entry with the most votes from each category will be the winner of the People’s Choice Award.
Assessment of the submissions will be based on the following criteria – creativity, functionality, accessibility, and aesthetics.
- Start of Registration – April 18
- Registration Deadline – July 18 Taipei time 23:59 (GMT+08:00)
- Preliminary Selection Online – July 23 to August 13
- Announcement of Finalists – August 16
- Deadline for Submission of Final Works/Mockups – September 16 Taipei time 17:00 (GMT+08:00)
- Final Selection – September 25
- Award Ceremony – November 1
- The total award amounts to NT$3,800,000. The award for each category is listed below
- Taipei City Mayor Award (NTD600,000) – 1 (Visual Communication Design)
- Golden Award (NTD500,000) – 3 (one in each category)
- Silver Award (NTD200,000) – 3 (one each category)
- Bronze Award (NTD150,000) – 3 (one in each category)
- ico-D Special Award (NTD10,000) – 1 (Visual Communication Design)
- IFI Special Award (NTD10,000) – 1 (Public Space Design)
- Social Design Award (NTD150,000) – 1
- Applied Design Award (NTD150,000) – 1
- Universal Design Award (NTD150,000) – 1
- Judges’ Special Award (NTD10,000) – 15 (five in each category)
- People’s Choice Award (NTD10,000) – 3 (one in each category)
- Sponsors Award
- Distinction – Several per category
- Aside from the cash prize, the Taipei City Mayor Award/Golden Award/Silver Award/Bronze Award/icoD Special Award/IFI Special Award/ Social Design Award/Applied Design Award/Universal Design Award/Judges’ Special Award winners will also receive a trophy and a certificate of recognition
- The People’s Choice Award, Sponsors Award, and Distinction winners will receive a certificate of recognition.
- Everyone around the world is welcomed to participate individually or as a group (each group is limited to five members) with one member as main correspondent.
- Entries must be original creations of the contestants completed after June 30, 2017.